Requirements + Application
The P.P.E. curriculum consists of 15 credit hours usually distributed over four semesters, as follows:
- The Justice Seminar (cross-listed in Philosophy, Political Science, and Economics), an intensive 3-credit hour seminar that is the gateway to the minor, taken in the fall semester of sophomore or junior year. (3 credit-hours)
- Three 1-credit PPE Colloquia, each devoted either to the critical reading and discussion of one or two major works or to a group project on some contemporary issue(s). The colloquia are normally taken in the three semesters following the Justice Seminar. Special arrangements can sometimes be made for students who wish to participate in a colloquium while studying abroad. (3 credit-hours in toto)
- Students take three approved PPE electives. Approved PPE electives will be grouped into Philosophy, Political Science and Economics "families". (9 credit-hours in toto)
- Students majoring in one Political Science, Philosophy or Economics generally cannot count an elective or requirement in her major family toward of study toward the PPE minor.
- No student at all can count more than two electives in the same family toward the minor.
Total credit-hours: 15
P.P.E. students are also encouraged (but not required) to write senior theses in their majors that reflect the interdisciplinary focus of the program.
An informational meeting about the PPE minor will be held at 7 PM on Wednesday, March 22 in 119 DeBartolo.
Applications for the minor and for the Justice Seminar are due by the close of business on Friday, April 7; applications received after that time cannot be guaranteed full consideration. Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance into the Program in time to DART into the appropriate fall classes. Students who have expressed interest in the minor throughout the year will be contacted by email in mid-March with reminders about the informational meeting and the application deadline. Anyone with questions about the minor is encouraged to contact Professor Weithman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The spring 2023 PPE application is here.